[OS X TeX] BibDesk + CVS Checkout?

Michael McCracken michael_mccracken at mac.com
Thu Sep 15 23:21:56 CEST 2005

On Sep 15, 2005, at 11:40 AM, mark oilcan wrote:

> Will BibDesk 2.0 break this sort of functionality? I hope not in
> that I
> have a similar set-up where my .bib file might be modified by means
> other than BibDesk. It seems like having to reimport and export each
> time I use BibDesk will be a bit of a pain compared to the way it
> works
> now. (I understand that the trade off is added functionality in other
> areas, but it just turns out that I don't see myself using those. I
> don't doubt that I'm in the minority, though).
>
> Mark A

The answer is probably No and Yes.

As planned, BibDesk 2 will still do everything that BibDesk 1 does.

What we're doing for BD2 (slowly, I admit) is adding the ability to
read a new file format that lets you store a lot more information
and organize things better. We'll support easy import and export
from regular BibTeX files, but if you still want to use BibTeX as your
main format, especially if you want to work with Windows/Linux/etc,
you'll
be able to do it, since opening .bib files in BD2 will act exactly
as it does now.

So, for those who don't envision using new organizational features,
don't worry.
I expect that new features will be added to both the .bib editing
capabilities
and the new format for a long time - there are no plans of dropping
support
for editing BibTeX!

-mike

--