[OS X TeX] Re: A Textures Query

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 15 22:51:57 CEST 2005

On 15 Sep 2005, at 21:12, Siep Kroonenberg wrote:

> On Sep 15, 2005, at 11:12 AM, Jack Kuipers wrote:
>
>> I have a large TEXTURES file which when typeset produces all 400+
>> pages including 100++  figures which comprise my Quaternion Book.
>> All of these output pdf.pages were furnished to and used by
>> Princeton University Press as camera-ready for the publication of
>> the book (5 years ago). These original Textures (LaTeX) files were
>> produced on my Macintosh Computers: OS 7x (or earlier), 8x, to
>> 9.2.2. And all the figures are, of course, embedded within the
>> Textures software either as pict or eps or somesuch.
>>
>> IS THERE A WAY TO SALVAGE OR CONVERT THE INFORMATION IN MY OLD
>> TEXTURES FILES or RUN THEM UNDER TeXShop 1.5.3e or later? HOW,
>> first of all,  to get all of the figures back out of TEXTURES ----
>> and then to get them all properly converted (say, using
>> GraphicConverter batch) is the primary issue;
>>
>> I can do ONE figure (at a time) --- but 100++ figures??? I might
>> not survive it. ANY suggestions would be so very much welcomed.
>
> I have no experience with TeXtures or TeXtures files, but I once
> lifted eps files out of dvips output with a short Perl script, which
> I still have lying around. This approach might be adaptable to
> PostScript output from TeXtures, depending on what information
> TeXtures leaves in from the included eps.

If I recall correctly, the way textures stored its figures was in the
resource fork of the TeX file. Graphic Converter may be able to
translate these directly as a batch, but you may end up with
bitmapped (raster) images, something you may not like.

Another option is to use DeRez to extract the files, but we would
need some description/header file for DeRez to extract the bits &
bytes correctly.

It would help to know (a) in which format you actually included the
figures (pict, eps, tiff), and (b) to have a simple sample of these
files, so we can try out different methods. Since the figures are
likely to reside in the resource fork, you have to compress the file
(s) with a resource-aware utility (stuff-it, or use the Finder to
create a zip file - but I keep forgetting whether that was available
in Panther, or did we really get it in tiger only?)

Maarten