[OS X TeX] Courier font changes?

Michael S. Hanson mshanson at wesleyan.edu
Thu Sep 15 22:46:42 CEST 2005

     I use the Courier font for \texttt{} in a variety of documents,
loaded along with Utopia and Fourier in my document preambles via
\usepackage{fourier,courier}.  Since upgrading my desktop to OS X
10.4.2 and gwTeX to the most recent version (my prior installation
was probably about 16-24 months old), text in the Courier font has a
much finer "weight" in documents I compile now relative to the same
documents compiled under the previous system (10.3.9 with an earlier
gwTeX install).  I'm not sure if "weight" is the correct
terminology;  the Courier font in the new documents is very fine,
thin and wispy -- the older documents almost appear to have the
Courier font set in bold (they do not) by comparison.  Is there
anyway to get back the old font or change the weight?

     Looking through my installed fonts in Font Book, it looks like
it could be that "Courier New" (a Microsoft font?) is now being
placed into the PDFs instead of Apple's Courier.  Is there some
configuration file I could modify to change this behavior?  If so, I
suspect I would need fairly detailed instructions;  fonts in LaTeX
make me break out into a cold sweat.  ;)  Thanks in advance!

                                         -- Mike