[OS X TeX] BibDesk + CVS Checkout?

Adam Maxwell amaxwell at mac.com
Thu Sep 15 17:32:59 CEST 2005

On Thursday, September 15, 2005, at 08:18AM, Jung-Tsung Shen <jushen at gmail.com> wrote:

>Assume I have set up everything in BibDesk, including the autofile
>which links the citations to the actual papers.
>
>But sometimes for some reasons, I have to work on Windows and need to
>add citations from equivalent program on Windows (BibTexMng,
>specifically). To help the synchronization easier, I set up a CVS
>server.
>
>Now the question:
>
>If I check in the .bib file that contains hundred of citation records
>and was edited on Windows from Windows platform, and check out this
>.bib file on Mac, *and replace the old local version", will everything
>(autofile ... etc) keeps intact?

BibDesk won't autofile pre-existing papers unless you tell it to, so there should be no change to your existing file.  AutoFile only files new PDFs (or whatever) you add, unless you manually tell BibDesk to re-arrange your papers folder.  Just save it with BibDesk under a new filename and use `opendiff file1.bib file2.bib` in Terminal to check for diffs with FileMerge.

This is a good question for the BibDesk-users mailing list, too.

hth,
Adam