[OS X TeX] OT: Pages format definitions

Bob Kerstetter bkerstetter at mac.com
Wed Sep 14 22:36:47 CEST 2005

On Sep 13, 2005, at 8:57 PM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> In short my advise would be: Pages isn't ready yet for prime time.
> Maybe for a newsletter of a couple of pages it's OK, but not for a
> structured document. You can create a table of content, but not
> influence its formatting much. And, strangely enough for an XML-
> based document format, the table of content entries are only text,
> they are not hyperlinks to the corresponding sections of the
> document (as they would be in LaTeX with the hyperref package)

I use TeX because in my 25 years of writing with computers, no
WYSIWYG word processor, or WYSIWYG document processor (including
FrameMaker), is reliable for long documents. They are all unstable
when docs grow past a few pages or several hundred K in size,
whichever comes first. Now and then you get lucky, but very often
your docs become corrupt. Before TeX I lived with constant paranoia,
including the need to backup several times a day to provide restore
points to use after Word corrupted the content. Occasionally I must
use Word for a document because of business requirements, but my
experience continues to be that of Ellen Feiss: "beep beep beep..."
and you know the rest. So these days almost everything gets TeX-ed,
then, if required, converted using TeX4ht.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>