[OS X TeX] LaTeX brain puzzle

Geoff Vallis gkv at Princeton.EDU
Wed Sep 14 13:52:21 CEST 2005

This is slightly off-topic, being a latex question in general and not
OSX specific, but brain-teaser addicts or clever macro writers might
have the answer.

I need to reference a table by page number. If the table has a label
in it called mylabel then I can write: 'See the table on page \pageref
{mylabel}.'
But if the table is on the same page, or the next page, as the
referencing sentence this looks  bit silly. In that case I would like
to say, for example, 'see the table at the top of this page.' Thus, I
would like a macro, let's say called \cleverref{}, that I use instead
of \pageref{} that does the following:
  1.  If the label is on the same page as \cleverref{} itself, it
expands
      to 'at the top of this page'.
  2.  If the label is on the next page as \cleverref{} itself, it
expands
      to 'on the next page'.
  3.  Otherwise it expands to 'on page \pageref{}'.

Any ideas? Please cc me directly as well as responding to the list.

Thanks
Geoff Vallis
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>