[OS X TeX] TeX i-Packages updates

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Tue Sep 13 16:48:35 CEST 2005

The TeX i-Packages (TeX, CM-Super, CB-Greek, Musixtex, Context-Updater)
have been updated.

Apart from having the latest stuff (e.g. based on TL2005, ppc and i686
binaries) there has been one important visible change for the user.
Configuring now gives the user the option to select either system-wide
or a particular user for configuration. I don't think it will be used
much, but it is the new teTeX3/TL2005 way and I have started to support
this option. Simpe install (basic or full) will still install
system-wide and not ask the user. If you select to configure for a
particular user, changes in hyphenation patterns (formats) and mappings
will only have effect for that user. The user's ~/Library/texmf
directory will contain the compiled formats etc. You can return to the
system-wide setting by configuring for system-wide and when asked
remove all the per-user settings for all users.

Note: there is a (harmless but annoying) bug in i-Installer. If you run
"configure only" immediately after having run a simple install (basic
or full) you will get the simple configure again. To get the expert
configure immediately after a basic/full install (and the choice of
user vs system-wide) close and reopen the i-Package.

I have tested on OS X 10.4 and 10.3 and on PPC and i686 and it all
seems to work properly. I consider tihs i-Package and the software
therein to be of release candidate quality. Hence, if nothing serious
happens, the other i-Directories will be updated in a short while.

How to get it:
- Start i-Installer and open the Known Packages window. Select the
*EXPERIMENTAL* i-Directory. Open the packages through that window. Your
package on disk (if any) will be redirected to use the *EXPERIMENTAL*
i-Directory from that moment on (you might see a warning sheet about
the change in repository location).

How to return to the previous TeX i-Packages release still in the other
i-Directories:
- Start i-Installer and open the Known Packages window. Select any
i-Directory but the *EXPERIMENTAL* i-Directory. Open the packages
through that window. Your package on disk (if any) will be redirected
to use the i-Directory chosen from that moment on (you might see a
warning sheet about the change in repository location)..

NOTE: I am currently unsubscribed from the Mac OS X TeX mailing list so
I cannot see any reports there. If you have problems, please mail to me
directly.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>