[OS X TeX] OS X TeX newbie needs help installing TeX on non-boot volume

Mark Smith mark at bbprojects.net
Mon Sep 12 19:33:22 CEST 2005

@ 18:37 on 12.9.05, Peter Dyballa wrote:

>Am 12.09.2005 um 17:57 schrieb Mark Smith:
>
>>> #2 won't work with a sym-link, because an application would
>>> first need to visit the strange outside location.
>>
>> would work (locally) for all apps that are looking for the
>> standard location and that's going to be the overwhelming
>> number of non-modified cases.
>
>No, Mark: a symbolic link won't work.

Yes. You're absolutely right. However, we are at crossed-purposes here, though that's entirely my fault for jumping into an on-going thread.

All I'm doing is stating the "bleedin' obvious" that making a symbolic link pointing *to* the standard location is (of itself) harmless. It would not interfere in any way with how the vast majority of things work for a standard install (assuming you don't change anything else).

I'm not suggesting it as a solution for changing the target for installers. In fact, I'm not really suggesting anything. Was merely questioning the logic of wanting to do the opposite and replace the standard location with a link pointing elsewhere.

However, I think I grasp the nature of that request now.

mark.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>