[OS X TeX] OS X TeX newbie needs help installing TeX on non-boot volume

Aaron Jackson jackson at msrce.howard.edu
Mon Sep 12 17:25:12 CEST 2005

On Sep 12, 2005, at 11:09 AM, Mark Smith wrote:

> @ 16:56 on 12.9.05, Peter Dyballa wrote:
>
>> You understand that
>>
>> 	/usr/local/teTeX -> /his/preferred/path
>>
>> and
>>
>> 	/his/preferred/path/teTeX -> /usr/local/teTeX
>>
>> are different? The second idea would work with mount ...
>
> Yes. I just couldn't find an explanation for the "why" in the thread.
> The eh... "meta-information" didn't point anywhere I could follow to
> such a "directional" requirement. #2 seems easier and preferable, so
> (unless I'm horribly confused), I still don't get why the OP wanted
> #1.
>
> Not so important though.

The OP had a misguided notion that installing tex on a different drive
would make his system more stable.  For the record, the easiest way to
do this would be to install in /usr/local, then ``cd /usr; tar cvf -
local | (cd somewhere; tar xpvf -); rm -rf local; ln -s somewhere/local
local'' and be done with it and stop bothering everybody (the OP that
is).

Aaron

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>