[OS X TeX] OS X TeX newbie needs help installing TeX on non-boot volume

Rowland McDonnell rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net
Mon Sep 12 14:18:43 CEST 2005

[snip]

> This is what Rowland wrote to me personally then:

Yes, I wrote what you quote below, but I didn't give you permission to
publish it.

You might consider the fact that I wasn't being completely frank with
you, but was attempting a bit of diplomacy.

Or, to put it another way, I was lying to try to butter you up.  But
what was I lying about?  I've not explained that so please don't think
you know - you certainly don't.

I am stupid and I am ignorant and I am clueless.  I am not entirely
unsophisticated.

> > So while I greatly appreciate the time and effort you've put in to
> > help me, you've not actually helped me at all so far.  This is a
> > great shame because you're clearly trying very hard.
>
> Which indeed I did at the time. I spent more hours on trying to help
> Rowland than anybody else over the past years.

That is astonishly arrogant nonsense.

What do you know about the time people have spent helping me?

I think you'll find that I've had extended email discussions and news
discussions with many, many other people all of whom were more polite
and more helpful than you and many of whom put in more time.

> Rowland now:
>
> > (Gerben, why didn't you just tell me this months ago when I asked
> > you?)
>
> May 26, I wrote at his question about this:
>
> >> Also: is there any way of arranging things to install any of this
> >> software in a non-default place?
> >
> > Some packages support this other not, this depends on the contents
> > of the package and the author of the package. TeX is relocatable.
> > ghostscript is not because ghostscript itself is not easily
> > relocatable after it has been compiled. You can install TeX
> > somewhere else by changing the install location in the Pkg
> > Properties tab. However, most other packages are not relocatable
> > because they are so closely connected to the Unix level of Mac OS X.
>
> The other comments Rowland has made about me and my actions are as
> consistently incorrect as the ones quoted above.

Eh?

What on Earth is your quote supposed to prove?  That you were indeed as
unhelpful as I claimed?  It's what you seem to be showing.

btw, that's a private email you're quoting without permission in a
public forum.  Icky.

[snip]

Anyway.  Gerben appears to be on a completely different planet to me - I
still can't figure out what sense he's making of the words he's reading
and writing.  We certainly seem to have a completely different
understanding of the English language to each other.

I don't see any way in which I can establish meaningful communication
with him.

But I'd still like help getting TeX on MacOS X sorted out.  I think the
only sensible thing for me to do is to just not respond to Gerben - I
don't think I can do so without getting into some kind of pointless
personal bickering.

Apologies for the disruption.

Rowland.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>