[OS X TeX] OS X TeX newbie needs help installing TeX on non-boot volume

Anthony Morton amorton at fastmail.fm
Sun Sep 11 15:34:00 CEST 2005

> By the way, I tried something similar with mapping /var/tmp to another
> partition when I was running out of space on my OS partition, which
> caused all application installers built using Installer Vise to crash,
> although the command-line path using the symlink (/var/tmp) was the
> same as before; some apps seem to be unable to resolve symlinks.

No-one should be using Installer Vise any more - installers built with
it have a bad habit of trashing people's systems.

But yes, symlinks aren't as completely transparent as I'd like: 'ls
directory' behaves differently depending whether 'directory' is or is
not a symlink to another directory, so you can't always rely on using
plain old 'ls' to get a directory listing in a shell script.

Tony

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>