[OS X TeX] OS X TeX newbie needs help installing TeX on non-boot volume

Rowland McDonnell rjmm-lists1 at fireflyuk.net
Sun Sep 11 14:59:28 CEST 2005

> On Sep 10, 2005, at 16:00, Peter Dyballa wrote:
[snip]
> > I think there is nowhere a place to change the location where
> > i-Installer installs teTeX ...
>
> Except for setting the "Install location".

Can anyone tell me what happens when you change that setting?  That is,
what exactly does i-installer do differently when it installs software
in a different place?

I get the idea that i-installer configures software as well as putting
the files on disc.  Can I find out about the details of exactly what
configuration steps it peforms?

>To make it even better, if
> that Install Location does not require administrator rights you can
> install TeX without admin rights. So TeX is relocatable. Even if you
> install in /usr/local/teTeX and then move //usr/local/teTeX elsewhere
> it will work.

Aha!

(Gerben, why didn't you just tell me this months ago when I asked you?)

> But many other i-Packages are not relocatable. Sometimes the software
> has hard coded dependencies and needs to be in a location which is
> defined at compile time.

Is it possible to find out what's relocatable and what's not?  And is it
practical to get a bastardised setup working (I don't care how many
config files I have to hand edit just so long as I can find out which
files need working on) with teTeX and hopefully the other `big stuff'
installed somewhere other than the boot volume and those bits which
haven't any choice installed where they're compiled to work?

> > I can think of two things that might do the job -- and they might be
> > combined.
> >
> > 1. Set an environment variable TEXMF in ~/.MacOSX/environment.plist
> > that points to a teTeX 'root' directory on the other volume. Log off
> > and log in again, maybe as the owner of the TeX software, so that
the
> > setting becomes valid. If i-Installer follows the usual guide lines
it
> > will read $TEXMF's value and install TeX there. If not: next try.
>

> This is a dangerous and non-functional suggestion. As a generic
> software installer i-Installer knows nothing of TEXMF settings and
> won't follow them.

I thought so.

> Using environment.plist is a trick I would generally
> advise against.

What on Earth is it for in any case?

Rowland.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>