[OS X TeX] OS X TeX newbie needs help installing TeX on non-boot volume

Martin Costabel costabel at wanadoo.fr
Sun Sep 11 14:53:51 CEST 2005

I don't want to participate in the weird anti-unix flame war that this
message seems to want to start, but here is a word of advice:

If you make /usr/local a symbolic link to some other directory (as I am
doing usually, too), then after each software installation using one of
the GUI installers, please check if your symbolic link is still there or
if it has been removed and replaced by a real directory. The Apple
installer is known to do this occasionally if it is used to install
things in /usr/local, even Apple softwareupdate has done it once or twice.

Anthony Morton wrote:
[]
> As someone mentioned, probably the most successful way of doing this,
> while keeping everything organised in the way expected under the Unix
> architecture, is to map the entire '/usr/local' file hierarchy to the
> desired location on your other volume.  The easiest way to do this is
> with a symbolic link.
[]
> 2. Make a symbolic link to /usr/local from this new folder:
>     sudo ln -s /Volumes/otherapps/unix /usr/local

BTW, you can very well replace /usr/X11R6 by a symbolic link, too, but
the same advice is in order; you shouldn't do it if later you want to
use Apple's installer to install things into /usr/X11R6.

--
Martin

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>