[OS X TeX] OS X TeX newbie needs help installing TeX on non-boot volume

Anthony Morton amorton at fastmail.fm
Sun Sep 11 13:57:54 CEST 2005

>> i-Installer (and other tetex distributions) install inside the
>> /usr/local directory (not as an application bundle or such).
>
> I know.  And as I say, I want to make it install the software
> somewhere else.

As someone mentioned, probably the most successful way of doing this,
while keeping everything organised in the way expected under the Unix
architecture, is to map the entire '/usr/local' file hierarchy to the
desired location on your other volume.  The easiest way to do this is
with a symbolic link.

Before you install *anything* whatsoever, go into Terminal and type 'ls
/usr'.  This lists all the (visible) files in your '/usr' directory.
Make sure there's no folder called 'local' - if there is then
something's already been installed there and you'll probably want to
zap it and re-install it later.  Assuming there's no 'local' directory
and your other volume is mounted (called something like
/Volumes/otherapps), do the following:

1. Create a folder called 'unix' on your 'otherapps' volume - this can
be done in Terminal as
	sudo mkdir /Volumes/otherapps/unix
The 'sudo' bit ensures that the folder is owned by 'root' (the
super-user), as all high-level folders should be.  Note that you need
to type your account password to run commands as the super-user.

2. Make a symbolic link to /usr/local from this new folder:
	sudo ln -s /Volumes/otherapps/unix /usr/local

The folder 'unix' on the other volume will now replicate a Unix-like
local file hierarchy, which will automatically be used as an
installation location by Unix-like utilities such as i-Installer.  You
can put any other Mac-like apps, documents, etc. on this other volume
as long as you leave the 'unix' folder alone.

Of course, the folder doesn't have to be called 'unix' or even be at
the top level on your 'otherapps' volume, as long as you specify the
correct path to the folder at step 2 above.  If you ever need to wipe
and reinstall your boot volume, you'll need to remember to recreate the
link - this just means typing the command at step 2 once again after
reinstalling.

The only things that will still want to be installed on your boot
volume are a few applications like 'xfig' that use X11 (an attempt at a
GUI for traditional Unix boxes).  Unfortunately there's not much you
can do about this as Apple installs an X11 file hierarchy on the boot
volume at /usr/X11R6 and any X11 apps have to go here.  But I'm
guessing you won't be wanting to use many X11 apps anyway.  (One of my
projects for an undefined time in the future is an Aqua port of xfig,
assuming no-one's working on one already.)

(Having said all that, the 'ideal Unix way' to go about this would
probably be to define /usr/local as a 'mount point', and have the other
volume 'automount' at this location in the file system, rather than be
referenced indirectly via a symbolic link.  But explaining how to set
this up requires more knowledge of Unix administration than I'm
confident about giving advice on.)

>> b) OS X has significantly mitigated these risks from my experience
>
> OS X is the reason I want to do it.  I never worried about the need to
> wipe and re-install until I `upgraded' to this allegedly wonderful
> `modern' (i.e., born in the 1960s) operating system, allegedly so much
> better than what we had before.
>
> I've lost count of the number of times I've had to wipe and re-install
> since I got OS X.  It's a major pain - compared to System 6 and System
> 7 at least.  I never had to wipe and re-install when I used those OSes
> (oops!  I lied - I did have to do that once, after a freeware disc
> defragger did the dirty on me one day.  Well, serves me right, doesn't
> it?)

It's unfortunate that you've had this experience, which is highly
atypical for OS X.  Admittedly, the typical shell CLI in Unix-like
systems is arcane, crufty and downright dangerous.  But Unix itself is
one of the most stable and robust operating system architectures yet
devised, which is why so many modern OSes are based on it.

What lets Unix-like systems down are two things:

1. The crufty command-line interface whose principles date from the
1970s and are largely out of date.  NeXT/Apple have probably done a
more successful job than any at putting a usable GUI on top of Unix
which largely avoids the need to resort to the command line.  But there
are still too many gaps, such as the one above, where use of the CLI is
still necessary.  Most administration functions still aren't GUI-ified,
which means going into Terminal to do things, and taking the risk that
a typing error will hose your system (all too easy, particularly if you
get into the habit of doing 'sudo -s' to run an entire shell session as
the super-user).

2. The reliance on hard-coded paths.  One thing that takes a lot of
getting used to when moving from a classic Mac OS to Unix is that the
location of a file in the file system has semantic value.  If it's a
'system' executable program it goes in /bin; if it's a 'user'
executable program supplied by the vendor it goes in /usr/bin; if it's
a user program supplied by a third party it goes in /usr/local/bin; if
it's a manual page it goes in /man or /usr/man or /usr/local/man
depending on its status, and so on.  Again, this stems from a 1970s
approach to keeping things organised, and OS X does a reasonable job of
keeping this separate from most of what happens at the user level, so
you can throw documents and many applications wherever you like without
things going wrong.  But 'traditional' Unix applications like TeX still
have to go in the designated place (or at least somewhere that appears
to be the designated place).

The chief tip for avoiding catastrophic failures on OS X is to never
enable the root user, and to instead run commands one at a time with
'sudo' if you need to do something with 'root' privileges.

Cheers,
Tony M.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>