[OS X TeX] Re: Commeting Solution for LaTeX/PDF? Or, Collaboration Tools?

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Thu Sep 8 22:21:55 CEST 2005

On 8 Sep 2005, at 22:00, Jung-Tsung Shen wrote:

> Thanks for the reply, Maarten. I do use Cdiff in my Winedt/MikTeX on
> my PC laptop, along with the RCS implementation.

So you keep the various revisions in that way. Good, maintains your
sanity.

> (1) I haven't found the equivalent implementation in Mac (and I know
> very little about UNIX).

I don't know the windows implementation, so I cannot recommend an
equivalent. If you have the developer tools installed (they come with
the OS, but in a separate install), you could try
     /Developer/Applications/Utilities/FileMerge
It allows to quickly see where the differences between two files or
two sets of files are. In KDE (Linux) a similar interface is given by
Kompare.

If you have latexdiff installed, you can feed the script two files,
'old' and 'new'. It will then produce a new LaTeX source file, that
shows the differences* without requiring you to do any editing.

> (2) My colleagues only knows simple LaTeX,

No need for any action on their part: gather their changes, get the
old release, and create the latexdiff file, and send that out again
(in pdf).

> so I am looking for a "package-based" solutions. I would be glad to
> know how to do this in a simple and graphical way in Mac too (like in
> Winedt, it shows changebar, strikeout, grayout ... in a nice and clear
> way. Furthermore, it's fast!)

I'm not sure that you should do it by hand: get the computer to do it
for you: even easier.

Maarten

*on a much finer granularity that a normal diff will: the script
makes temporary copies of both files, and puts each word on a line of
its own: this way a diff will highlight each changed word. The diff
is then parsed by this perl script to produce the nice output.
List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>