[OS X TeX] Re: Installation order i-packages

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Sun Sep 4 18:01:53 CEST 2005

Le 4 sept. 05 à 17:29, Bastian Philipps a écrit :

> Hm, the strange thing is, all tutorials (e.g.][both only in german,
> sorry] http://unimac.switch.ch/students/latex-howto.de.html or
> http://janeden.org/page/2547) suggest TeX --> Ghostscript --> CM-
> Super.
>
> Might be that the difference lies in the complexity of the system.
> Making order more or less irrelevant if font or graphic tools are
> left out.

Looking quickly at these tutorials (as far as my remote knowledge of
German allows), I've got the impression they simply reproduce
partially the listing of i-Packages at Gerben Wierda's TeX page
<http://www.rna.nl/tex.html>. However, there is no indication of
recommended order of installation in this page.

In any case, I don't think it makes a real difference installing
GhostScript before or after TeX. It does, however, make one to
install FreeType and FontForge before or after TeX. And I think it's
better to install CM-Super after TeX, as it's supposed to add stuff
in locations created by the TeX i-package; plus an updmap run will
take place at the end of the CM-Super install, and this can't work
unless updmap has already been installed by the TeX i-Package.

Herb Schulz has also a very valid point: it may have changed
nowadays, I don't know, but a couple of years back i-Installer
checked, when installing the TeX i-Package, whether X11 was
installed: if so, xdvi was installed, and if not it wasn't.
Similarly, when installing the GhostScript i-Package, a X11 version
of GS is installed if X11 is present on the machine, and a non-X11
version otherwise.

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>