[OS X TeX] Dashboard widget for LaTeX symbols

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Sep 1 16:54:36 CEST 2005

On Aug 31, 2005, at 9:10 PM, Andrew Kurtz wrote:

> Sorry if this is getting too far off topic, but it is possible to
> have Dashboard widgets appear on the Desktop (similar to
> Konfabulator, which is another option if you are looking for
> something that is more flexible).  See this page for how to enable
> it...
>
> http://www.macosxhints.com/article.php?story=20050422172929402
>
> Andy.

Howdy,

Thanks, that's handy to know (and I've changed that preference now).

Now, let's see... Hmmm... I've changed Spotlight to F12 (upper right
on my PowerBook Keyboard) since I find it fairly useful, Spotlight
Window Mode to Cmd-F12 and my rarely used Dashboard to Cmd-Opt-F12.
Now I'm going to have to click, hold and drag the widget and press
Cmd-Opt-F12; I think I need a third hand :-)!

By the way, just in case you didn't realize it, in Tiger you can re-
assign the meaning of the fn key on laptops so that the Function keys
are Function keys by default and you need the fn key for their
special meaning (e.g., screen brightness). VERY HANDY! Now I use the
default F5 key for using BibDesk to complete a \cite. One of the
useful things Tiger has introduced.

Speaking of completing \cite commands using BibDesk... If BibDesk
isn't already running when I activate \cite completion it opens but
doesn't open any .bib file so the only suggestions are the ones
already used within the file. I wonder if BibDesk would open a
default .bib file (top one in the recent files?) or give a list of
available .bib files along the standard search path for selection.
That way I wouldn't have to switch to BibDesk, open the proper .bib
file and switch back before continuing. I think I might be getting
pretty lazy!?

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>