[OS X TeX] Dashboard widget for LaTeX symbols

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Thu Sep 1 01:16:47 CEST 2005

Le 31 août 05 à 20:46, Herbert Schulz a écrit :

> I'm not a huge fan of Dashboard but this could be handy for
> occasional use. Thanks.

Same here. When I first saw Steve's presentation of Dashboard, I got
quite excited about it. Only to get all the more disappointed when
receiving Tiger, and realizing Dashboard widgets are only seen in the
"application" Dashboard, not in other applications!

I mean, what's the point of having an iTunes widget or a clock
widget, if these cannot be seen in the background while running other
applications (just like the Desktop Accessories of pre-Multifinder
Mac OS, for those who remember these prehistoric times)? Maybe I'm
just mistaken, but I can't see in which circumstances widgets can be
useful.

There's another area which I find very disappointing in the new
window paradigms of OS X: all the palettes (the Font and Color
panels, the Character Palette, the Inspectors in Keynote and Pages,
etc.). Why do they always stay foreground, hiding regular windows? As
a result, if you're not having a > 20" display, you'll end up closing
these panels, or constantly moving them away then back in, so that
you can access the whole area of the regular windows you're working in.

Just one of those 1am rants...

List Post: <mailto:MacOSX-TeX at email.esm.psu.edu>