[OS X TeX] TeXShop and footbib

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Tue Oct 25 00:36:58 CEST 2005

On Oct 24, 2005, at 4:49 PM, Jeff Roland wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm having trouble using footbib with TeXShop.  As I understand it,
> I'm supposed to run LaTeX on  <my document>, which will produce a
> file ( <my document>.fb or <my document>.fb.aux, the footbib
> documentation isn't really clear on this point) that I need to
> process using BibTeX before running LaTeX twice more. The problem
> is that I can't seem to do the BibTeX step.  Running  LaTeX on <my
> document> doesn't produce a file with extension .fb or .fb.aux that
> TeXShop recognizes.
>
> Any and all help appreciated, including a suggestion for getting
> BibTeX-ed references into footnotes without using footbib.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Jeff Roland

Howdy,

When you edit a file file.tex and then run pdflatex (or latex
+ghostscript) on the file it produces a file file.aux. Under ordinary
circumstances BibTeX will be run on file.aux. With the footbib
package an additional file, file.fb.aux, is created and BibTeX must
be run on that file with the command

bibtex file.fb

where the .aux is  assumed by BibTeX. After processing, is there a
file.fb.aux produced?

Your choice is either to use BibTeX via the command line or produce a
special TeXShop Engine just to do the special processing needed.

To build the Engine first duplicate one of the .engine files in ~/
Library/TeXShop/Engines/ and rename it FootBib.engine. Then open it
in TeXShop and replace the text there with:

#!/bin/sh
basefname="`basename "$1" .tex`"
pdflatex "${basefname}"
if [ -e "${basefname}.pdf" ] ; then
   bibtex "${basefname}.fb"
   pdflatex "${basefname}"
   pdflatex "${basefname}"
fi

which will run pdflatex on your file, then run bibtex on file.fb and
finally run pdflatex twice. Put that file in the Engines directory.
Then you can select the FootBib engine in the drop down menu on
the .tex file's toolbar. To make that file use the FootBib engine by
default, rather than having to choose it each time you start an edit
session, add the line

%!TEX TS-program = FootBib

near the beginning of the file. This can be changed at will; e.g.,
add a line

   bibtex "${basefname}"

before or after the first bibtex call if you also have a regular
bibliography.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)