[OS X TeX] wrapfig solved!

Rene Borgella macmechanic at fastmail.fm
Sat Oct 22 05:40:23 CEST 2005

Hi all:

Thanks for the help.  I stumbled around a bit, and I got a wrapfig to
work, I found documentation in "wrapfig.sty"

Perhaps there is better stuff in the LaTex bible (aka LaTeX
Companion), but I didn't find it as helpful as what's at the .sty doc.

Incidentally, using these in the document did shorten overall length
some and reduce unused page space. I realize that it's important to
have whitespace in a page for readability, but sometimes, to a
relatively novel user as myself, I find that I have too much on a
page and I'm not very knowledgeable about controlling this -- so far,
I'm only at the level where I know how to control just a very little
of my pages with "geometry" package.

In case you ever wanted to do this and didn't know how . . .

Two examples followed by brief excerpt from wrapfig.sty:

1)

\begin{wrapfigure}[12]{r}[16pt]{8cm}\includegraphics{trugreen.png}
``TruGreen ChemLawn's lawn treatment destroys weeds, kills pests and
can give you the greenest lawn on the block.''
\caption{This advertisement typifies the marketing of  the ``dream
lawn'' for homeowners across the nation.}
  \end{wrapfigure}

In this document, I found that the 'auto' mode, where you only
specify page placement (first {} ) and width (2nd {} ) works well.

2)

\begin{wrapfigure}{r}{5cm}\includegraphics[scale=0.75]{ridingmower.png}
\caption{A typical riding mower, a model like this easily retails for
over \$1,000 and are ubiquitous in suburban America.}
  \end{wrapfigure}

*** AFAIK, you must have these packages declared in the preamble for
this to work with graphics

\usepackage{wrapfig}

\usepackage{graphicx}
\DeclareGraphicsRule{.tif}{png}{.png}{`convert #1 `dirname
#1`/`basename #1 .tif`.png}

W R A P F I G . S T Y  \ \  ver 3.6 \ \ (Jan 31, 2003)

Copyright (C) 1991-2003 by Donald Arseneau  (asnd at triumf.ca)

Wrapfig.sty provides the environments "wrapfigure" and "wraptable" for
typesetting a narrow float at the edge of the text, and making the text
wrap around it.  The "wrapfigure" and "wraptable" environments interact
properly with the "\caption" command to produce proper numbering, but
they are not regular floats like "figure" and "table", so (beware!) they
may be printed out of sequence with the regular floats.  There are four
parameters for "\begin{wrapfigure}", two optional and two required, plus
the text of the figure, with a caption perhaps:

    \begin{wrapfigure}[12]{r}[34pt]{5cm} <figure> \end{wrapfigure}
    [number of narrow lines] {placement} [overhang] {width}