[OS X TeX] question about the geometry package

Morten Høgholm morten.hoegholm at gmail.com
Sat Oct 22 00:53:01 CEST 2005

On Fri, 21 Oct 2005 09:37:29 -0500, Herbert Schulz
<herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the information. What does get executed if you use latex,
> i.e., pdfetex with the latex format and the dvi option set?

Nothing actually: there is no default option. That's the problem. All the
parameter settings are done of course so \paperheight etc. have the
correct values but no \specials are issued to actually tell the post
processor about them. Hence no effect for dvi-mode.

> Thank you very much. That sounds like a reasonable way to toggle between
> two defaults and still leave the possibility to choose a custom driver.

I made it a little better in my suggestion to the author. When detecting
drivers first check if the user already gave one. Only if no driver is
specified try to detect one. Basically something like this:

\def\Gm at checkdrivers{%
    \ifx\Gm at driver\@empty % no driver specified by user, detect
      \ifpdf
        \Gm at setdriver{pdftex}%