[OS X TeX] TeXShop doesn't open dvi-files

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Fri Oct 21 23:57:38 CEST 2005

On 21 Oct 2005, at 23:13, Herbert Schulz wrote:

> What, pray tell, is being squeezed out without information loss in
> these files? Just curious.

Nothing. It is just like a 6MB plain text file getting compressed
with zip. It just compresses very well. The original source data is
just ascii as well and weighs in at 5.4 MB, so I'd say that further
compression might be possible.

On 21 Oct 2005, at 23:27, Franck Pastor wrote:

> I'm possibly misundertanding something, but I include my Metapost
> figures directly in my PDF documents produced with pdfLaTeX,
> without using mptopdf, simply by putting these commands in the
> preambule:
>
> \usepackage{graphicx}
> \DeclareGraphicsRule{*}{mps}{*}{}
>
> And then : \includegraphics{figure.1}, \includegraphics{figure.2},
> etc.
>
> You know (La)TeX much better than me, so where am I wrong ?

You're doing nothing wrong here. I don't think you need the
Declare... command, at least I leave it out, it probably is in some
configuration file already.

This command and the graphicx packages use supp-pdf.tex behind the
scenes, which allows pdftex to include (limited) eps files, which it
normally can't. It is just that metapost uses a limited sub-set of
postsccript, which allows pdftex to understand it. mptopdf is the
stand-alone tool to translate metapost output into pdf using pdftex.
Really nice, but not something very special.

The file I described above generates into a 9 MB mps file, which is
too large for pdftex to handle, even when I set the memory settings
to ludicrous, I get an overflow somewhere. I never managed to
convince pdf(la)tex to include that file, as it is just too large.
Hence the detour.

Maarten