[OS X TeX] LaTeX with Chinese Characters

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Fri Oct 21 00:40:13 CEST 2005

On 10/20/05, Herbert Schulz <herbs at wideopenwest.com> wrote:

> On Oct 20, 2005, at 12:06 PM, Jonathan Kew wrote:

> > However, you don't necessarily have to change the TeXShop default
> > command. If you add a comment at the top of a file with the form:
> >
> > %!TEX TS-program = xelatex
> >
> > then TeXShop will automatically use the xelatex engine when
> > typesetting that document, regardless of the default specified in
> > the Preferences dialog. (Similarly for other "engines" that TeXShop
> > offers.)
> >
> > JK
> >

> Howdy,
>
> And don't forget
>
> %!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode
>
> to make sure TeXShop assumes UTF-8 encoding when it opens the file.
>
> Good Luck,
>
> Herb Schulz
> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)

Jonathan, Herb,

Thanks so much for all the information. I was soooooooooooooo happy
when I saw the first time in my life a locally generated (Xe)LaTeX
document with Chinese characters showing up in front of me ... :-)
~~~~~~

JT

The following is for the archive, so someone in the future only has to
read one email:

To typeset documents with Chinese characters, installed XeLaTex from
Jonathan's i-directory from i-installer (it's also contained in MacTeX
2005), and put the following two lines at the beginning of your
document:

%!TEX TS-program = xelatex
%!TEX encoding = UTF-8 Unicode

That's it. :-)