[OS X TeX] TeXShop doesn't open dvi-files

Jung-Tsung Shen jushen at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 18:34:43 CEST 2005

On 10/20/05, Gerben Wierda <Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl> wrote:
> > Morning.
> >
> > Am 19.10.2005 um 21:20 schrieb Maarten Sneep:
> >
> >> To resolve the issue, just install the ghostscript package with i-
> >> Installer.
> >
> > Oh yes, this has solved the problem! Thanks, thanks a lot.
> >
> > Why isn't the Ghostscript installation not part of the standard i-
> > Installer installation?
>
> Because if you use PDFTeX you do not need ghostscript, so why let people
> download and install it if it is not necessary? Only for older formats
> like DVI and eps do you need a distiller.
>
> Besides, it is possible to do this without ghostscript. You can tell
> simpdftex to use another distiller (e.g. Apple's own).
>
> Having said that, almost everybody who installs my TeX redistribution also
> installs Ghostscript.
>
> I think TeX shop accepts DVI and uses the default simpdftex call which
> requires ghostscript. Maybe TeXShop should use a different call and use
> Apple's distiller instead (and have this configurable).

Gerben, the following question might be off the topic of the current
thread, but is related to your reply:

I had always been curious about the options under TeXShop (v. 2.03) preferences:

Misc -> Distiller (Ghostscript and Apple Distiller).

The journals to which I submit papers requires figures in eps format,
so I am forced to use Ghostscript. Now according to your reply, it
seems that we can change in the above preference option from
"Ghostscript" to "Apple Distiller"? Is this interpretation correct?
What's the benefits of doing this?

Thanks.

JT