[OS X TeX] question about the geometry package

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Tue Oct 18 22:22:52 CEST 2005

Am 18.10.2005 um 15:09 schrieb Luis Sequeira:

> This typesets ok with pdftex, but produces an a4 page with
> tex+ghostscript.

Which means do you use to determine your statement?

Is it based on these two lines in the (dvi)PS output file?

	%%BoundingBox: 0 0 595 842
	%%DocumentPaperSizes: a4

Or do you check with pdfinfo? Of course pdfinfo reports two A4 and 595
x 842 pts.

Or do you look at the grey frame around the white sheet of paper in
TeXShop?

The problem is that the DVI format does not provide a the dimensions of
the sheet of paper, it just records at which point which element from
which font gets painted. So dvips has no idea on which area you paint
the string -- and LaTeX paints the page number and other decorations.
dvips assumes your systems standard paper size, as cited above. ps2pdf
has no chance to correct this, so it sticks to your system's standards.

You can make it easier when you supply to simpdftex some extra
information:

	--dvipsopts "-t a5"

The geometry package does its work correctly. Just compare at the same
magnification the output files from pdfTeX and simpdftex and the
relations of text to page number!

(Just one more pointer to better go the pdfTeX way.)

--
Greetings

   Pete

We are usually convinced more easily by reasons we have found ourselves
than by those which have occurred to others.
(Blaise Pascal)