[OS X TeX] possible character-mapping bug in gwTeX

Christopher Brislawn brislawn at lanl.gov
Sat Oct 15 01:21:19 CEST 2005

On 15 Oct 2005, at 00:25:59 CEST, Maarten Sneep wrote:

 >> This *could* be a font encoding problem, but I tried saving the
 >> source in various encodings (MacOSRoman, ISO Latin 1, Latin 5, etc.)
 >
 > It is. In LaTeX, add \usepackage[T1]{fontenc} and the problem
 > disappears. How to do this in plain TeX, I don't know.

That did it; problem solved!  I am perfectly content to use LaTeX, I
only presented plain TeX to show that the problem wasn't
LaTeX-specific.

On 15 Oct 2005, at 00:26:50 CEST, Jonathan Kew wrote:

 > Not a bug; this is expected behavior, and will be the same in any
 > standard TeX installation on any platform.

Actually, the sample text I sent in compiled and rendered to Postscript
"correctly" (i.e., as *I* expected) using my previous workhorse, Y&Y
TeX on Win XP (in LaTeX with Lucida fonts).

 > <, >, and | do not normally occur in printed English text.

Not counting the usage at the start of the above lines, of course.
I discovered this problem when I moved my first work-in-progress from
the Y&Y setup to the Mac; it contained in-line mathematical jargon of
the form "something > something else," which revealed the problem very
nicely.  I still think it's bizarre and error-provoking to redefine a
standard keyboard character to a different symbol, particularly if it's
only done in *some* font styles, and especially when the language has
macro capabilities for lesser-used symbols.  I really thought I was
losing my mind for a while there....

Thank you both for responding so promptly!  I never get answers that
fast around the workplace.

Sincerely,

-Chris Brislawn