[OS X TeX] right place for a .map line

Gerben Wierda Gerben.Wierda at rna.nl
Fri Oct 14 17:57:16 CEST 2005

On Oct 14, 2005, at 17:00, Gary L. Gray wrote:

> On Oct 14, 2005, at 8:46 AM, Gerben Wierda wrote:

>>> The other possibility, if i have well learned Gerben's lessons, is
>>> to place the Map file in
>>>
>>> ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map
>>>
>>> and to run from the command line
>>>
>>> updmap --enable Map tu.map
>>>
>>> (without sudo, etc.) It's a clean install, that also doesn't risk to
>>> be hurt by a latter update and doesn't need any texhash or mktexlsr,
>>> but it's for a single user's use. If there are other users in your
>>> system, they are not concerned. It works well, I've just checked it
>>> for another map file
>>>

>> But I'd rather not have people do this unless they are TeXperts.
>> Because any run of the TeX i-Package later will ignore what is there
>> and I can imagine the support questions that come out of that. The
>> cat is out of the bag, though.
>
> OK, let me see if I understand this since I really do want to get it
> right and, as I said before, my head is spinning with all this new
> stuff.
>
> So I should take everything that I currently have in:
>
> ~/Library/texmf/
>
> and put it in:
>
> /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.local/
>
> Is that correct? Or, does this just apply to fonts and font-related
> files? If I do this and I re-install TeX, what happens? Does
> everything in there disappear? The nice thing about:
>
> ~/Library/texmf/
>
> is that it is in *my* home directory and *I* control it.
>
> Please advise so that my head stops spinning. My neck is starting to
> hurt. :-)

First, all of your sty files and such work fine when you leave them in
~/Library/texmf, They only work for you and no other user on your
system. But that has not changed. TeX reads input like it used to do.
This change is only about configuring TeX.

Old: updmap (read: updmap, fmtutil or texconfig) wrote in the
texmf.local directory but did look also in the ~/Library/texmf
directory for input.

New: updmap-sys behaves like updmap used to.
New: updmap reads like updmap used to but writes in ~/Library/texmf.
Hence, when you change your paper size with texconfig only you get the
new paper size (formats with new sets of hyphenation patterns, map
files for dvips, etc)

New: the TeX i-Package configures as user root using updmap-sys. Hence
it does read ~root/Library/texmf (which hopefully does not exist) and
it writes in texmf.local. This makes configuring with the TeX i-package
independent from which user performs is.

If you want the old behaviour, the command line is your friend: Instead
of the old "sudo updmap" you now say "sudo updmap-sys" and that is it.

The TeX i-Packages now say "sudo -H -u root updmap-sys" to get the
independence of which user performs the configuration. That means that
if you have done personal command line stuff and you rerun TeX
i-Package configuration, your personal stuff is not found.

If you want personal stuff and personal results, the clean way is to
use updmap instead of updmap-sys without sudo. Your ~/Library/texmf
will be used for input *and* output. So you get .fmt files there, the
dvips and PDFTeX map files etc.

It is now either pure system (input and output) or pure personal (input
and output). It used to be output system with input also based on
personal.