[OS X TeX] latexdb & texshop

Ingo Reich ireich at mac.com
Thu Oct 13 16:35:18 CEST 2005

Am 13.10.2005 um 15:59 schrieb Ingo Reich:

> Am 13.10.2005 um 15:33 schrieb Herbert Schulz:
>

>> On Oct 13, 2005, at 12:46 AM, Ingo Reich wrote:
>>

>>> Herb,
>>> last night I tried (almost: tcsh) exactly what you suggested, and
>>> it didn't work at all; this morning I retried (bash), and it does
>>> work on the first run. To be more precise: it does work as long
>>> as I don't have to save my file before calling latexdb; if I need
>>> to save changes in the file, texshop still complains the way I
>>> mentioned in my last mail.
>>>
>>>  Another question: Since latexdb only generates a dvi-file, not
>>> a pdf-file, I tried to extend the script as follows:
>>>
>>> #!/bin/bash
>>> latexdb "$1"
>>> dvipdfm "$1"
>>>
>>> But now dvipdfm looks for "example.tex.dvi" instead of
>>> "example.dvi", and gets stuck.
>>> Sorry for being so ignorant.
>>> Ingo
>>>
>>> P.S. to Claus: I did try it both ways, i.e. with and without the
>>> extension .tex, but the problem persisted.
>>>

>> Howdy,
>>
>> The $1 is the full name, with the .tex; e.g., fname.tex. To get
>> the base name you need to use `basename "$1" .tex` so a simple
>> addition to get it right is:
>>
>> #!/bin/bash
>> basefname=$(basename "$1" .tex)
>> latexdb "$1"
>> dvipdfm "${basefname}"
>>
>> In terms of your other problem... What is the output of latexdb?
>> Does it change the .tex file?
>>
>> Good Luck,
>>
>> Herb Schulz
>> (herbs at wideopenwest.com)
>>

> Hi Herb, I can't see that the file is in any way different than
> before, so probably it doesn't. But, as Claus pointed out, running
> latexdb on example.tex generates additional files with tex endings:
> "example.tex.1", "example.tex.pre.1" and "example.tex.texdb.1";
> during its run it also generates a then removed file called
> "example.backup" which suggests that latexdb does in fact not only
> read example.tex. What it does exactly, however, is completely
> obscure to me. Ingo

Sorry, it's "example.tex.backup". latexdb just failed to compile
because I made some mistake with the name of the mySQL table, and the
file then didn't get deleted --  and the file "example.tex" has been
changed (part of it has been removed). So probably  latexdb renames
the original file as "example.tex.backup" and writes a new file
"example.tex" which is identical to "example.tex.backup" if (and only
if?) everything compiles correctly.
Ingo