[OS X TeX] latexdb & texshop

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Thu Oct 13 15:33:53 CEST 2005

On Oct 13, 2005, at 12:46 AM, Ingo Reich wrote:

> Herb,
> last night I tried (almost: tcsh) exactly what you suggested, and
> it didn't work at all; this morning I retried (bash), and it does
> work on the first run. To be more precise: it does work as long as
> I don't have to save my file before calling latexdb; if I need to
> save changes in the file, texshop still complains the way I
> mentioned in my last mail.
>
>  Another question: Since latexdb only generates a dvi-file, not  a
> pdf-file, I tried to extend the script as follows:
>
> #!/bin/bash
> latexdb "$1"
> dvipdfm "$1"
>
> But now dvipdfm looks for "example.tex.dvi" instead of
> "example.dvi", and gets stuck.
> Sorry for being so ignorant.
> Ingo
>
> P.S. to Claus: I did try it both ways, i.e. with and without the
> extension .tex, but the problem persisted.

Howdy,

The $1 is the full name, with the .tex; e.g., fname.tex. To get the
base name you need to use `basename "$1" .tex` so a simple addition
to get it right is:

#!/bin/bash
basefname=$(basename "$1" .tex)
latexdb "$1"
dvipdfm "${basefname}"

In terms of your other problem... What is the output of latexdb? Does
it change the .tex file?

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)