[OS X TeX] Re: [XeTeX] Re: "I can't find the format file `xetex.fmt'!"

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Mon Oct 10 12:48:53 CEST 2005

Am 10.10.2005 um 02:14 schrieb Gerben Wierda:

>> ~/Library/texmf/fonts/map/*/fontinst is a good place for MAP files:
>> updmap-sys finds them there!
>
> That is not good. updmap-sys should be run wth sudo -H -u root so that
> stuff from other users are not found. Otherwise, updmap-sys run by one
> user gives different results than run by another (another example why
> this whole -sys stuff is a mess).

Well, practically this works! I re-checked again with 'updmap-sys
--listavailablemaps' (last night it was a too simplistic 'updmap-sys
--listmaps'), and with 'kpsewhich <private fontinst>.map' in a GNU
Emacs instance that runs in the root account (sudo
/usr/local/bin/emacs-23.0.0 -u root ...). And trying a 'sudo kpsewhich
<private fontinst>.map' in Terminal gives the MAP file too. Launching
this emacs with 'sudo -H ...' shows that my private texmf tree is a
separated item! And of course 'sudo -H kpsewhich <private
fontinst>.map' in Terminal returns nothing.

This makes things a bit complicated when trying to help others! We
would need to ask on which TeX Live their TeX is based and then make a
difference between <utility> and <utility-sys> and sudo and sudo -H!
Can it be that Thomas Esser has foreseen the trouble coming to Germany
with the first female chancellor 'Angie' Merkel, leading us into chaos
and civil war? Doomsday is near! (On Saturday I already listened to Sun
Ra's 'It's After The End Of The World' -- live from Donaueschingen and
Berlin, autumn 1970, now re-released on UNIVERSE, a division of COMET
RECORDS in a Karmapack. Front cover is an excerpt from the triptych by
Hieronymus Bosch, showing us already a piece of paradise. Gone, the
garden of earthly delights, as Sabena too, which transported the Sun Ra
Arkestra to Europe.)

I do not complain about these side-effects of sudo. Otherwise I would
have fooled teTeX and i-Installer with a sym-link in ~root/Library ...
maybe I'll have to when I'll see updmap fail next time with
i-Installer. And I fear I'm not the only one you can fool others and
software.

--
Greetings

   Pete

The light at the end of the tunnel has been turned off due to budget
cuts.