[OS X TeX] One more time... Lucida Bright installation

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Mon Oct 10 11:52:06 CEST 2005

Le 10 oct. 05 à 11:15, Maarten Sneep a écrit :

> On 10 Oct 2005, at 9:26, Bruno Voisin wrote:
>
>> Le 8 oct. 05 à 14:13, Maarten Sneep a écrit :
>>
>>> sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lucidabr.map
>>> sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lumath.map
>>
>> I'd recommend to add
>>
>> sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lucidabr-o.map
>> sudo updmap-sys --enable Map=lumath-o.map
>
> Why? IIRC this adds a lot of "font already defined, ignoring"
> messages to each tex run where you use lucida. One set is enough.

Not really IIRC. These two sets of map files are complementary. They
define the two various brands of TeX metrics files for the PFB font
files having retained their original Y&Y names:

- lucidabr.map (for the text fonts) and lumath.map (for the math
fonts) set the correspondence between the metrics with Karl-Berry-
style names and the PFB fonts with Y&Y names, for example:

     hlhr8r.tfm and lbr.pfb
     hlcrima.tfm and lbmo.pfb

- lucidabr-o.map (for the text fonts) and lumath-o.map (for the math
fonts) set the correspondence between the metrics files with Y&Y
names and the PFB fonts with the same names, for example:

     lbr.tfm and lbr.pfb
     lbmo.tfm and lbmo.pfb

These latter metrics do not appear directly in the directories /usr/
local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/fonts/tfm/bh/lu*/, they are defined in
the file /usr/local/teTeX/share/texmf.tetex/aliases.

The metrics with Y&Y names are sometimes required for compatibility
with older documents; they are also required if you are using the
Lucida fonts in plain TeX based on the file lcdplain.tex, shipped by
Y&Y on the original floppies and loading fonts through declarations
such as:

     \font\tenrm=lbr at 9.5pt \font\sevenrm=lbr at 6.9pt  \font
\fiverm=lbr at 5.2pt
     \font\teni=lbmo at 9.5pt \font\seveni=lbmo at 6.9pt  \font
\fivei=lbmo at 5.2pt

I think the conflict arise not with lucidabr-o.map and lumath-o.map,
but with lucidabr-k.map and lumath-k.map, which associate Karl-Berry-
style metrics names with Karl-Berry-style PFB font file names, and
are not compatible with lucidabr.map and lumath.map.