[OS X TeX] One more time... Lucida Bright installation

Stephen Moye stephenmoye at cox.net
Sat Oct 8 00:09:32 CEST 2005

On Oct 7, 2005, at 11:06 AM, Bruno Voisin wrote:

> Le 7 oct. 05 à 16:09, stephenmoye at cox.net a écrit :
>

>> I hate to be tedious, but is there a single, definitive and
>> authoritative source that details all of the steps necessary to
>> install Lucida Bright? Are there pre-existing and current tfms,
>> vfs and fds available? I've got a legal set of the Mac fonts, and
>> a little unix foreach/t1unmac magic works wonders. A detailed (and
>> current) list of what the *.pfb files should be named would be
>> useful, too.
>>

> Everything except the PFB font files is already included in teTeX.
> As to how to rename these PFB files, Gary Gray posted detailed
> instructions a long time ago. It should be on the list archive
> somewhere.
>
> Following is a former message from Gary.
>
> Hope this helps,
>
> Bruno Voisin
>

>> De : "Gary L. Gray"
>> Date : 25 janvier 2005 05:08:09 HNEC
>> À : TeX on Mac OS X Mailing List
>> Objet : Rép : [OS X TeX] Current "best practice" for Lucida under
>> TeXShop
>>
>> On Jan 24, 2005, at 10:45 PM, Ian Morrison wrote:
>>

>>> I have been made a number of attempts to migrate Lucida which I have
>>> had working fine for years under both Textures and OzTex in
>>> Classic to
>>> a Jaguar TeXShop installation (via i-Installer's "Full" option)
>>> with no
>>> success. It's not that I have not tried to find and use already
>>> posted
>>> recipes. I have tried at least a half-dozen of various vintages
> [...]
>>> say is needed seems to be a moving target as teTeX evolves). I
>>> have the
>>> full 41 font expert set purchased from YandY for Classic
>>> [converted to
>>> pfbs using Fondu] and I have renamed and inserted in the teTeX
>>> tree in
>>> several ways with no luck.
>>>
>>> Is it true, as I seem to sniff from some posts, that all the needed
>>> tfm, vf, fd and map files are in the current teTeX distribution and
>>> that all that I need to add are the Type 1 fonts. If so, where do
>>> they
>>> go, what are the "right" names (Berry or YandY variants or can I use
>>> either, is the exact folder structure important, etc.)? If not, what
>>> else must I provide and where?
>>>
>>> I'm not very knowledgable about (or fond of) UNIX but I think I
>>> can follow a
>>> detailed working recipe. I just can't seem to locate one.
>>>

>> Here is my setup. This works with the TeXLive 2004 installation
>> using Gerben's distribution and, for example,
>>
>> \usepackage[T1]{fontenc}
>> \usepackage[expert,altbullet,lucidasmallscale]{lucidabr}
>>
>> I have the following in
>>
>> ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lubright/
>>
>> lbd.pfb
>> lbdi.pfb
>> lbdsc.pfb
>> lbi.pfb
>> lbr.pfb
>> lbrsc.pfb
>> lbsl.pfb
>>
>> ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lucida/
>>
>> lbc.pfb
>> lbh.pfb
>> lbki.pfb
>> lbkr.pfb
>> lbl.pfb
>> lbtb.pfb
>> lbtbo.pfb
>> lbto.pfb
>> lbtr.pfb
>>
>> ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lucidfax/
>>
>> lfd.pfb
>> lfdi.pfb
>> lfi.pfb
>> lfr.pfb
>>
>> ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lucsans/
>>
>> lsb.pfb
>> lsbi.pfb
>> lsd.pfb
>> lsdi.pfb
>> lsi.pfb
>> lsr.pfb
>> lstb.pfb
>> lstbo.pfb
>> lsto.pfb
>> lstr.pfb
>>
>> ~/Library/texmf/fonts/type1/yandy/lumath/
>>
>> lbma.pfb
>> lbmad.pfb
>> lbmd.pfb
>> lbmdi.pfb
>> lbmdo.pfb
>> lbme.pfb
>> lbmi.pfb
>> lbmo.pfb
>> lbmr.pfb
>> lbms.pfb
>> lbmsd.pfb
>>
>> Also see my posting from June 5, 2003 for more detail:

I have created the necessary fonts and put them where they should be,
did sudo texhash, but still no Lucida. Do I have to run some form of
updmap to make things work? If so, which?

I am also getting an error when I latex the file (pdflatex does not
give the error message):

This script has been deprecated. Please call

     simpdftex latex --maxpfb lubrtest.tex

instead.

Help! ;>}

Stephen Moye