[OS X TeX] Open Testing of MacTeX Distribution

Bruno Voisin bvoisin at mac.com
Fri Oct 7 12:18:31 CEST 2005

Le 7 oct. 05 à 11:59, Simon Spiegel a écrit :

> A question: I see that you're bundling Excalibur. I don't know this
> app but from a short look at its website it looks this hasn't been
> updated for quite some time. Any particular reason why you ship
> this and not CocoASpell which is also suited for LaTeX and gets
> constantly updated? Is Excalibur better?

- CocoAspell is shipped too, in the Extras.

- Excalibur hasn't been updated for a long time because, AFAIK, its
developer is running out of time and is looking for somebody to take
over.

- The exact composition of the CD has been influenced largely by
licensing issues. For example, given the CD will probably be sold
(and included in the forthcoming French translation of the LaTeX
Companion), it has been necessary to look in detail at the license
for each and every software to be potentially included, make sure it
was compatible with the above, and sometimes contact the developer/
company to make sure everything was OK.

- In this respect, the fact that CocoAspell is now donationware while
Excalibur is free made a difference.