[OS X TeX] TL2005 is there: TeX i-Packages based on TL2005 released

Simon Spiegel simon at simifilm.ch
Sat Oct 1 11:52:13 CEST 2005

Thank you very much for your work. Is there a changelog for TL2005,
have there been some significant changes which affect the common
user? Googling didn't bring up anything.

simon

On 01.10.2005, at 10:18, Gerben Wierda wrote:

> The updated TeX i-Packages:
>     - TeX
>     - CM Super
>     - CB Greek
>     - MusixTeX
> have been released into the standard i-Directories.
>
> On the TeX i-Package:
>
> The TeX i-Package contains 3 releases for 2 architectures:
> - Based on TeX Liv L2003 and teTeX 2 (for powerpc only)
> - Based on TeX Live 2004 and teTeX 3 (for powerpc and intel)
> - Based on TeX Live 2005 and teTeX 3 (for powerpc and intel)
>
> This means that binaries aretaken from TeX Live, that the basic
> texmf tree is taken from teTeX and that additions to that texmf
> tree (e.g. gwTeX) are taken mostly from TeX Live too.
>
> - The TL2005/teTeX3 release is the new default stable release
> - The TL2003/teTeX2 release is retained for backward compatibility
> as the TeX Directory Structure has changed in 2004.
> - The TL2004/teTeX3 release is the previous stable release. It will
> be retained for a period of weeks/months only and then be removed
> from the i-Package. The TL2005 release is backwards compatible with
> the TL2004 release.
>
> Most users are advised to install the basic or full 2005 release.
>
> The gwTeX additions are mostly based on TeX Live too. It contains
> as of today:
> - ppower4
> - relsymb (not from TeX Live)
> - algorithm
> - tipa
> - texpower
> - ucs
> - pdfslide
> - pdfscreen
> - answers
> - ntheorem
> - pdftricks
> - emp
> - prosper
> - pdfcprot
> - betababel
> - mentis
> - stdpage
> - blacklettert1
> - gothic
> - hfoldsty
> - dictsym
> - cjhebrew
> - xyling
>
> When you install TL2003/teTeX 2 you get additionally stuff that is
> not in teTeX2 but that is in teTeX3
> - textcomp
> - listings
> - memoir
> - xcolor
> - pgf
>
> There has been one major i-Package user interface. There now is the
> choice for which user you want to confgure TeX. If you choose a
> particular user, the configuration results end up in that user's ~/
> Library/texmf directory. It is not advisable to do this unless you
> have multiple users that have conflicting wishes with respect to
> hyphenation patterns, etc (e.g. one wants another hyphenation
> pattern than the other for the same language). The coverage of per-
> [...]

Simon Spiegel
Mutschellenstr. 97
8038 Zürich

Telephon: ++41 43 535 81 71
Mobophon: ++41 76 459 60 39

http://www.simifilm.ch

"I have never been certain that the moral of the Icarus myth is, as
is generally accepted, 'don't fly too high', or whether it might also
be thought of as: 'forget about the wax and feathers, and do a better
job on the wings." Stanley Kubrick