[OS X TeX] change header tableofcontents

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Wed Nov 30 16:39:09 CET 2005

On Nov 30, 2005, at 10:16 AM, George Gratzer wrote:

> There is a typo, it should be
>
> \renewcommand{\contentsname}{Your Name for Contents Here}
>
> By the way, all the names that can be changed are listed on p. 324
> of my book.
>
> GG

If you are referring to the * in the \renewcommand, then I refer
everyone to Kopka and Daly, which states:

"It is recommended that one should almost always take the *-version
of these defining commands, unless there is some very good reason to
expect that the possible arguments may be ‘long’, that is, contain new
paragraphs. Long arguments should be the exception, not the rule."

This is why I used the starred version of the \renewcommand. Of
course, the unstarred version also works and I am not sure why the
starred version is recommended -- I just like to follow the
guidelines put down by the experts. :-) I am sure one of the experts
on this list will be able to tell us all why the starred version is
better in most cases (including this one).

-- Gary