[OS X TeX] Suspicion of TeXShop bug

Richard Koch koch at math.uoregon.edu
Tue Nov 29 05:26:52 CET 2005

Folks,

I apologize for the bug which was extensively discussed Monday. This
bug will be fixed in the next release, which is essentially ready to
go. There
will be a week and a half delay because I must grade homework and
give and
grade a final.

Ernesto Trajano de Lima correctly explained the bug when he wrote:

>> I think I may have spotted the problem. And it may have something
>> to do with the undo manager (cmd+z) and the save function (cmd+s).
>> First, let me tell you that I could also reproduce it using
>> TextEdit. So, I think the bug may be Apple's fault! ;-) Well, the
>> steps to reproduce it are the following:
>>
>> 1- Open a document with TeXShop.
>> 2- Write something and save the document (cmd+s).
>> 3- Typeset the document. Your changes are visible in the preview
>> window.
>> 4- Now, undo what you wrote (cmd+z). The black dot should appear
>> in the close button (the red one).
>> 5- Start writing anything. The black dot will disappear and, for
>> the system, the document has not changed at all.
>> 6- Typeset again. Your changes **won't** be visible in the preview
>> window.

Let me confess that I've known about the bug for some time.
Originally, TeXShop didn't allow
undo past a save because I copied Apple's save code from the TextEdit
source, and that code
cleared the undo stack after a save. Then users requested the ability
to undo past a save, so I
added some code which almost worked. Sometimes the "file is dirty
dot" would get out of sync
when you retreated past a save.

All of the discussion today caused me to investigate this matter
again. It turns out that Apple added
a command to Cocoa in Tiger permitting undo past a save. I just added
it to TeXShop and it works.
The problem will be fixed in 2.04 but not in 1.41, because 1.41
doesn't have access to Tiger.

Dick
koch at math.uoregon.edu