[OS X TeX] Aquamacs, AucTeX, and preview-latex

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Nov 27 22:37:11 CET 2005

Am 27.11.2005 um 18:45 schrieb Cameron Hooper:

> Really? Aquamacs help (Aquamacs for Emacs Veterans -> Latex Support)
> says to install the AucTeX package maintained by Norm Gall at
> http://yaced.sourceforge.net. Before I did this, visiting a .tex file
> loaded tex-mode, not auctex.

The Help is probably elder then the ELisp code. Look here:
/Applications/Aquamacs
Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/edit-modes/preview/

You make AUCTeX take regime over all TeX files you need to enable it:

	(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook 'turn-on-reftex)   ; with AUCTeX LaTeX mode
	(add-hook 'LaTeX-mode-hook '(lambda () (TeX-fold-mode 1)))

and again you need to load a bit: (require 'tex-site). And here can be
one problem: I think this file needs so customisation for its locality.

>> You not only need to activate preview-latex by loading the ELisp
>> file, you too need to add the path to the preview-latex files:
>>
>> 	(add-to-list 'load-path "/Library/Application Support/Emacs/preview")
>
> I assumed Aquamacs did this automatically as it explicitly says auctex
> should be installed at this location. Anyway I added the following
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/Library/Application
> Support/Emacs/site-lisp/preview")
>
> but nothing changed. So I then tried
>
> (add-to-list 'load-path "/Library/Application
> Support/Emacs/site-lisp/site-start.d")
>
> Again no change.

I don't know what might be going wrong. I hope you did the installation
of AUCTeX and preview-latex according to the documentation and let make
do it ... You can put into site-start.el or .emacs or into *scratch*
with eval-region when you need it this little bit of code:

	(defadvice load (before debug-log activate)
	  (message "(Tipp von Kai G):Loading now: %s" (ad-get-arg 0)))

This will record in *Messages* which files get loaded. For me, when I
first load a TeX source, this gets recorded:

	/Library/Application Support/Emacs/site-start.el
	(Tipp von Kai G):Lade jetzt: preview-latex.el
	preview-latex wird geladen
	(Tipp von Kai G):Lade jetzt:
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/site-start.d/
auctex.el
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/site-start.d/
auctex.el (source)...
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/tex-site.el
(source)...done
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/site-start.d/
auctex.el (source)...done
	(Tipp von Kai G):Lade jetzt:
/Applications/EmacsJCVS.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/site-start.d/
preview-latex.el
/Applications/EmacsJCVS.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/site-start.d/
preview-latex.el (source)...done
/Applications/EmacsJCVS.app/Contents/Resources/share/emacs/22.0.50/
site-lisp/site-start.el (source)...done
	(Tipp von Kai G):Lade jetzt: preview-latex
	preview-latex wird geladen
	Applying style hooks...
	(Tipp von Kai G):Lade jetzt: /Users/pete/..../auto/AUC.el
	(Tipp von Kai G):Lade jetzt:
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/auctex/style/
graphicx.elc
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/auctex/style/
graphicx.elc...done
	(Tipp von Kai G):Lade jetzt:
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/auctex/style/
babel.elc
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/auctex/style/
babel.elc...done
	(Tipp von Kai G):Lade jetzt:
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/auctex/style/
ngerman.elc
/Applications/Emacs.app/Contents/Resources/site-lisp/auctex/style/
ngerman.elc...done
	Starting new Ispell process...
	Applying style hooks... done
	Sorting environment...
	Removing duplicates... done
	Automatic display of crossref information was turned on
	Applying style hooks... done

You see that it isn't 'my' installation that gets used ...

> The only files in /Library/Application Support/Emacs were added by
> auctex installer. I went ahead and deleted them but kept the load
> statement in .emacs. On startup emacs complained that it couldn't open
> load file preview-latex.el. So I deleted the (load "preview-latex.el"
> nil t t) line from .emacs. Now emacs starts but auctex is not loaded.

As mentioned above AUCTeX needs the (require 'tex-site) first and then
the statements to make it take over over elder ELisp software. Upon
correct installation these files and directories will appear in the
install directory:

	drwxr-xr-x   6 root  admin     204 29 Sep 20:44 preview
	-rw-r--r--   1 root  admin     324 29 Sep 20:44 auctex.el
	drwxr-xr-x  43 root  admin    1462 29 Sep 20:44 auctex
	-rw-r--r--   1 root  admin   12421 29 Sep 20:44 tex-site.el

For my Emacsen I added this code make them be aware of all new places:

       (setq load-path
           (mapcar 'expand-file-name
               (append '(
                 "/Library/Application Support/Emacs"
                 "/Library/Application Support/Emacs/reftex"
                 "/Library/Application Support/Emacs/auctex"
                 "/Library/Application Support/Emacs/auctex/images"
                 "/Library/Application Support/Emacs/preview")
         load-path)))

Can you describe how you installed AUCTeX and preview-latex and which
versions they are? There are also TeX files that are being installed
into the TeX installation (the preview package, as available from CTAN.

> Finally I decided to ignore the Help's suggested save location and
> installed to ~/Emacs, the place I normally add emacs packages and
> deleted the earlier installation. I rearranged the installed files,
> turned around 3 times, spat, added ~/Emacs/site-start.d to my load
> path and loaded auctex.el and preview.el.

What you're describing here is something that you added to your
Emacsen's start-up code. Maybe the other code never got into Emacs. You
can check success of additions to load-path by checking the value of
load-path in Emacs (C-h v load-path <RET>) ...

--
Greetings

   Pete

"What is this talk of 'release'?  Klingons do not make software
'releases'.  Our software 'escapes' leaving a bloody trail of
designers and quality assurance people in its wake."