[OS X TeX] Aquamacs, AucTeX, and preview-latex

Cameron Hooper chooper at umich.edu
Sun Nov 27 20:14:49 CET 2005

On Nov 27, 2005, at 1:32 PM, Paulo Ferreira wrote:

> On 27/nov/2005, at 03:11, Cameron Hooper wrote:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I've having a look at auctex and am having trouble getting preview-
>> latex to work. I'm using Aquamacs (0.9.6) and installed auctex
>> using the package from http://yaced.sourceforge.net and installed
>> to /Library/Application Support/Emacs as stated in Aquamacs Help.
>> Visiting a latex file loads auctex, but I don't see any menu items
>> for preview-latex. I tried typing C-c C-p C-d as suggested in the
>> preview-latex manual, but emacs responds with C-c C-p is
>> undefined. I tried adding
>>
>> (load "preview-latex.el" nil t t)
>>
>> to .emacs, but nothing changed. Any suggestions on what I'm doing
>> wrong?
>>
>> Cameron
>>
> Sorry for asking basic questions:
>
> Did you install it  under   $HOME/Library/Application Support/Emacs
> (where $HOME is your home directory) as recommended or to /Library/
> Application Support/Emacs  ?
>
> Did you look in the Commands menu (between the Tex and Help menus)?
>
> Greetings
>
> Paulo Ferreira

Hi Paulo

Thanks for taking the time to help me.

According to Aquamacs Help (at least in my version 0.9.6 which I
believe is the latest non-beta), the recommended installation
location is /Library/Application Support/Emacs not $HOME/Library/
Application Support/Emacs. Anyway, I tried the location you suggest,
removed all code related to auctex and preview-latex in my .emacs and
tried again. C-c C-p is still undefined. I have no Preview menu. I
have nothing in the Command menu (for me between Latex and Ref menus)
that seems to relate to preview-latex.

I added $HOME/Library/Application Support/Emacs/site-lisp/site-
start.d to my load path and tried with and without loading preview-
latex.el (and auctex.el).

No preview commands.

I removed the $HOME/Library/Application Support/Emacs load path and
loaded $HOME/Emacs/site-start.d as described in my response to Pete.
Hmmm, this no longer works: there is no Preview command. So I deleted
everything the installer added to the earlier load path and restarted
emacs. Now the Preview menu (between Tools and LaTeX) is back. I
think there is a bug somewhere.

Cameron