[OS X TeX] TeX & Mathematica 5.2

Themis Matsoukas matsoukas at psu.edu
Sun Nov 27 14:53:04 CET 2005

The support of TeX in Mathematica 5.2 has changed and now files are
exported in article style rather than in custom-made documentstyles
that try to match the look of the notebook. I have a couple of
problems with this:

1. Mathematica first defines two new new commands: \newcommand
{\unicode}{{}} and \newcommand{\mathsym}[1]{{}}, both of which seem
to contain empty definitions. Later in the latex document I see
things like \unicode{0009}. From my Mathematica notebook I deduce
that this refers to a tab character but in the latex file this simply
causes the string "0009" to be printed. (The command \mathsym does
not appear in the body of the notebook so I don't know what it is
supposed to do).  I can neutralize the unicode command by defining it
as \newcommand{\unicode}[1]{}, but what's the purpose of it in the
first place?

Any idea on how to neutralize these commands?

2. The default output produced by Mathematica's latex file is quite
ugly and requires clean-up. Anyone knows how to produce nice latex
output from Mathematica?

Themis