[OS X TeX] beamer & multimedia/movie15

Ingo Reich ireich at mac.com
Wed Nov 23 23:00:02 CET 2005

Hi Pete,

Am 22.11.2005 um 22:45 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> Am 22.11.2005 um 19:39 schrieb Ingo Reich:
>
>> with TL2004 I used beamer together with multimedia.sty to include
>> sounds into my presentations. In the meantime I upgraded to TL2005
>> and had to learn that the combination of beamer.cls and
>> multimedia.sty doesn't seem work any more as it used to. When I
>> last compiled my file (some time in spring 2004), I just had to
>> click on "bieten" in the PDF (Acrobat Reader 6), and the wav-file
>> started playing. Now, when I recompile the same file, there is no
>> way to click on "bieten", i.e. there seem to be no links to the
>> wav-file present. Am I missing something obvious?
>>

> I think you're missing TL2005.

Probably I missed that I upgraded from TL2003 to TL 2004.

> Ingo, it works with 'This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2
> (Web2C 7.5.5)' and simpdftex and a bit of Tuxedo Moon (WAV format)
> in Adobe Reader 7.0.5 and 6.0.2.
>
> Comparing your log and mine I can't see anything obvious, except
> different versions of TeX (and dvips).
>
> Do you have an opportunity to upgrade some other Mac's teTeX to
> *Experimental* TeX Live 2005? That's the version I am using and in
> which it works.

I did so on my good old Pismo, and it seems as if this is not a
problem of TL2004 vs. TL2005, but rather a problem of pdftex vs.
altpdftex. When I run pdftex on the testfile everything works fine,
but if I go the dvi --> ps --> pdf route (whether I use gs, version
8.13 or latest version, or apple's distiller, whether I use the
TL2004 or the experimental 2005 setup), no links are available in the
resulting pdf-file. Can you reproduce this behavior? If so, it seems
that for some reason those multmedia-tools are from TL2004 on
incompatible with dvips. This probably means I have to convert my eps-
file to pdf-files, wrap my pstricks-trees with pdftricks and use
pdflatex, though I always hoped I could avoid that (which is why I
never really followed those threads). Could you maybe give me some
hints on how to best convert my files, and how to include those
graphics (instead of using smething like \includegraphics
[height=6.5cm]{pictures/addsinewave.eps})?
Thanks again for your help.
Best, Ingo