[OS X TeX] Including jpg w/ graphicx

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Tue Nov 22 20:19:57 CET 2005

Hello Chris,

On 23/11/2005, at 6:06 AM, Christopher Allen wrote:

> I've just started trying to include graphics with graphicx,
> specifically jpegs, in my documents. I set the path to the file
> using \graphicspath{{~/Pictures/}}, and that seems to be working
> properly. I'm now stuck with
>
> \includegraphics*[bb=0 0 200 200]{mir1.jpg}
>
> leading to the error
>
> ! Extra \endcsname.
> \@providesfile ... \xdef \csname ver@#1\endcsname
>                                                   {#2}\endgroup

Firstly, are you using pdfLaTeX or ordinary LaTeX (e.g. with TeX
+Ghostscript mode)?
The former supports .jpg files (though not all variants)
whereas the latter may not support .jpg at all.

Is TeXshop your TeX application, or something else ?

Have you tried the following ?

   \includegraphics*[viewport=0 0 200 200,clip]{mir1}

Do you get the same error ?
If so, please send the image and your complete .log file
for a job that has been cut down to the bare minimum.

> I've been hunting around with Google, but I haven't quite figured
> this one out. It seems to be a relatively common error. I think I
> just don't understand well enough what graphicx is doing to be able
> to fix this myself after reading what I found. Could someone send
> me a piece sample of code that works? Or maybe someone sees
> something really silly that I'm doing?

Hope this helps,

	Ross Moore

Ross Moore                                         ross at maths.mq.edu.au