[OS X TeX] OT: LaTeX under Linux?

Gary L. Gray gray at engr.psu.edu
Tue Nov 22 16:38:29 CET 2005

I am very happy to be spoiled by Gerben's installation and all the
help from people on this list, but we are not all so "enlightened".

With this said, a student has asked me about getting a nice (La)TeX
installation running under Linux. He says that he has installed teTeX
and TeXLive, but still feels that a large number of things (e.g.,
package, latin modern, etc.) are missing. Can someone point me to
some resources that might help get him going with his TeX
environment? For example, where does one install local files under
Linux? Once they are installed, are there any paths that need to be
added to configuration files so that TeX can find these local files?

Any insights and pointers are appreciated.

Regards,

-- Gary