[OS X TeX] Charter GWTeX and Context

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Sun Nov 20 11:04:13 CET 2005

Am 20.11.2005 um 04:27 schrieb David Arnold:

> And Acrobat Professional reports that I am using: F38, Type: Type 3,
> Encoding: Custom, Actual font: F38, Actual Font Type: Type 3, and
> LMRoman12-Regular (Embedded subset), Type: Type 1, Encoding: Custom.
>
> The screen shows, in this latter case, a pretty ugly bitmapped font.
>
> How do I fix the latter case so that it matches the former in output?

Probably ConTeXt does not find the Charter font files. It might help to
refer ConTeXt to the MAP files pdfTeX or dvips are using:

	\loadmapfile [pdftex,charter]
	\loadmapfile [psfonts]

In the first case indeed two MAP files would be loaded, the one pdfTeX
uses by default plus charter.map. It would make ConTeXt use Charter
even if it's not enabled in pdftex.map. In the latter case the
companion MAP file for dvips is used. Both MAP files are understood by
ConTeXt.

If ConTeXt fails to find the right font it generates an ugly one. It's
a behaviour that Ghostscript had too decades ago. At least you saw
something on screen ... and it won't be such a bad idea if ConTeXt
would use pdftex.map or psfonts.map by default!

--
Greetings

   Pete

Make it simple, as simple as possible but no simpler. (Albert Einstein)