[OS X TeX] Large Figure in Document? (and slow response of TeXShop)

Martin Henning martin at easy2design.de
Sun Nov 20 08:10:59 CET 2005

On Nov 20, 2005, at 7:34 AM, Ross Moore wrote:

>>> Thanks for many helpful suggestions. I actually didn't know about
>>> the
>>> "Simplify" command. :P
>
> Nor did I. Thanks for the tip.
> Which menu is it under, and in which versions of Illustrator ?
> I cannot find it in  CS (11.0.0).

i actually have my powerbook for only 30 days now and still haven't
been able to find a working copy of ilustrator for my evalutional
reasons... unfortunately i'm a bit far from home, so i won't get it
anytime soon. i remember the function from version 9, which i hav
been using unde win98. whee exactly? hmm... i guess the help-file
would be your best bet :)

> Under System 9 (or earlier) it took Illustrator a 1/2 hour or more to
> render the image, and even then only after setting a memory-partition
> of 256 Mb.  And there was more than one of these images needed for a
> paper in a Proceedings volume --- Wendy, do you remember these ?

it was a bitmap before? 1000x1000 pixel would make it a million :)

> The reason was that Illustrator was making a separate object for every
> single dot. In particular, each integer coordinate was converted into
> a floating-point number, with 8+ digits in each.
> The file-size grew enormously as a result.
> Editing, to add frames and labels, was quite impossible.
>
> Solution:  do not "Open" the file in Illustrator.
>     Instead start a new document and use the "Place.." command
>     from the menu:       File > Place...
>
> Then it would still take a little while (~1/2 min) to render, but
> the image was editable and could be saved into .eps or .pdf .

you could use some smaller tool to trace the bitmaps, which has more
options as to how accurate and how detailed the output is supposed to
be, e.g. delinate. .svg should be used anyway, but every company
likes it's own proprietary format :/ does anyone have a working
script to convert fairly new .ai-files to .svg? my customer sent me
stuff and i desperately need to do something with the files, but
can't get my hands on illustrator here in moscow. at least not os x
version... mac in russia is something like bananas in GDR - almost
unknown :)

> It looks fabulous on the printed page --- thanks, Springer.

i guess u are one of the few people who acually mean this sentence :))))

.martin

---
MGTU - Moscow Technical State University