[OS X TeX] path name

Friedrich Vosberg vatolin at mac.com
Fri Nov 18 16:23:59 CET 2005

Am 18.11.2005 um 15:42 schrieb Peter Dyballa:

> Am 18.11.2005 um 08:16 schrieb Friedrich Vosberg:
>
>> What can I do to get complete path names?
>
> Migrate to Mac OS X.

I do use Mac OS X 10.4.3.

> I can't imagine how you can get a colon (':') into the path name
> otherwise ...

Ooops. I've meant a komma. But the problem was caused by the white
space.

> The problem is that you make awk only use the first 'word' -- and
> words are usually separated by white space. You need to make awk
> accept NEWLINE as 'Field Separator.' Try this:
>
> \immediate\write18{pwd |
> awk -F'\\n' '{print "\\newcommand{\\path}{" $1 "\\xspace}"}' >
> tmpdatei.tex}

I found, that

     \immediate\write18{pwd |
     awk '{print "\\newcommand{\\path}{" $0 "\\xspace}"}' >
tmpdatei.tex}

works too.

>> And BTW umlauts are ignored too. What can I do to get right
>> umlauts in \path
>
> No. There are no umlauts. You can put umlauts into your TeX files,
> but Mac OS X returns decomposed UTF-8 characters. So an umlaut
> usually is [aeiouyAEIOUY]¨.

Ahem ... in Terminal.app umlauts were transcripted to terms like

     \303\244
     \303\266
     \303\274

and in the pdf file pathname.tex for instance an double dotted o in
the the path

     ~/Desktop/möglich/pathname.tex

looks like written as

     \documentclass{ltxdoc}
     \begin{document}
     o\~A\`a
     \end{document}

It would be so great if I could get pathnames with directory names
containing umlauts!

TIA and kind regards.

Friedrich

> Stau ist nur hinten blöd, vorne geht's!

:-)

--
- Calvin: You can't just turn on creativity like a faucet, you have
to be in the right mood.