[OS X TeX] RE: Newbie TeTex font installation

Paul Vickers paul.vickers at unn.ac.uk
Fri Nov 18 10:54:49 CET 2005

Gerben

Now that would be great. I think Jeff is being a little unfair on Thomas
  - that's just TeX's architecture. Also, I don't think the process is
so much difficult as laborious. It's fiddly, and unless you get a full
expert TTF, you end up with an incomplete TeX font, but the process is,
at least, straightforward to follow.

As for Apple Font support in TeX, Gerben, if you could make it so we can
use 'normal' LaTeX commands, then the files would be portable across
platforms (with the limitation that on a different platform the system
would have to do its usual font substitution.

Now then, having spent a happy evening installing some TTF fonts, does
anybody know which fonts have true expert support (old style numbers,
real small caps etc), as those are the ones that would really benefit
from the time it takes to install them into LaTeX.

Cheers

Paul

Gerben Wierda wrote:
> On Nov 18, 2005, at 02:20, Jeff Genung wrote:
>
>> I am disappointed that Thomas Schmitz says that using a new font in
>> LaTeX is
>> not difficult, then presents a 16 page set of instructions on how to
>> do it.
>> YES, it is difficult, it is very difficult.
>>
>> If someone would like to write a simple set of instructions I would
>> like to
>> see it, to add either a TT font or a postscript font, but as for me
>> I'll let
>> another year pass where everything I've written has been in what was
>> already
>> installed.
>
> I will probably add support for Apple fonts in my TeX i-Package. If I
> get my way you won't have to do anything to use the fonts after you have
> configured TeX with the i-Package. Watch this space for developments...

____________________________________
Dr P. Vickers BSc PhD CEng MIEE ILTM
Reader in Human-Computer Interaction &
Visiting Research Fellow of Loughborough University

School of Computing, Engineering, & Information Sciences
Northumbria University
Pandon Building, Camden Street
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
NE2 1XE

Tel +44 (0)191 243-7614
Fax +44 (0)870 133-9127
e-mail: paul.vickers at northumbria.ac.uk
web: www.paulvickers.com/northumbria

Northumbria University.

====

This e-mail is intended solely for the addressee. It may contain private
and confidential information. If you are not the intended addressee,
please take no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone. Please
that all electronic mail from, to, or within Northumbria University may
be the subject of a request under the Freedom of Information Act 2000
and related legislation, and therefore may be required to be disclosed
to third parties.

This e-mail and attachments have been scanned for viruses prior to
leaving Northumbria University. Northumbria University will not be
liable for any losses as a result of any viruses being passed on.