[OS X TeX] Problem with Printing

Peter Dyballa Peter_Dyballa at Web.DE
Wed Nov 16 00:51:47 CET 2005

Am 15.11.2005 um 23:11 schrieb Marcus Michalsky:

> I am sorry to say this, but on the Windoof Machine from my Dad with
> MikTeX and EPSON driver it works fine (maybe the only one thing I've
> ever seen working on this old prehistoric thing :-)

The castrated printer was invented by Steve Jobs for the NeXT Cube,
then cloned by Sun as the SPARCprinter -- and finally came MS too.

Apple does not really support these printers, they're relying on the
CUPS software. It's efficient, it knows USB, serial, parallel,
Ethernet, but it surely can't serve dozens of different non-standard
printers (the laser printers are this kind, since they're not ESC/P2,
and some have no HP PCL) with proprietary raster data formats. So CUPS
does a bad job. And so it's a brilliant idea to get the manufacturer's
driver.

Preview does no tricks. It relies completely on the system, i.e. CUPS.
Adobe Reader first tries to substitute unavailable fonts with those
from inside its application bundle, and surely it knows and uses some
tricks for printing! Take a deeper look at its printing dialog. So it's
no wonder that you see two different results on the printer.

--
Mit friedvollen Grüßen

   Pete

Hupende Autos beißen nicht.