[OS X TeX] tex files and mdimport

Maarten Sneep maarten.sneep at xs4all.nl
Mon Nov 14 22:40:47 CET 2005

On 14 Nov 2005, at 20:42, Adam Maxwell wrote:

> I don't think they should have been searched in the first place, so
> Spotlight is probably working (more) correctly now.  I wrote up a
> trivial importer that indexes .tex files by file content, \author,
> and \title.  Any other LaTeX commands that would be worth trying to
> parse for metadata?

Off the top of my head: \author, \title, \date, \address, \begin
{abstract}...\end{abstract}, references to the master document (and
possibly inherit some elements from the master, if that isn't
confusing) included documents, and the main contents. If possible:
text encoding, language (through the babel call).

There is one thing that slightly bothers me: how about context and
plain tex users? If at all possible, try to guess the TeX dialect,
and store that as well. If it's not too much to ask, which it is, I
guess. Just kidding, the basics should be a nice starting point, we
can add more items later on. It clearly requires some thought.

> If this would be useful, I'll release it under a BSD license as
> part of the mactextoolbox (if Maarten is agreeable).

Of course. I did give you the rights to use the cvs module of the
project, didn't I?

Maarten