[OS X TeX] problem with pst-pdf

Herbert Schulz herbs at wideopenwest.com
Mon Nov 14 20:12:57 CET 2005

On Nov 14, 2005, at 1:01 PM, Peter Dyballa wrote:

> Herb, I think in you engine the first
>
> 	latex --shell-escape "$1"
>
> is not necessary in this explicit way, since latex is needed here
> to create an almost empty DVI file with just the \specials to
> record the graphics contents, internal or external (DVI mode is
> extraction mode). The last pdflatex call is the one that needs the
> --shell-escape to be able to convert any inappropriate graphics
> format to a proper one.
>
> Or did you encounter an exception?
>
> --
> Greetings
>
>   Pete

Howdy,

I put the shell-escape there purely out of habit, not because I even
thought about it :-). If it's not needed---and I think you're
correct, it isn't---then it can be removed. Shouldn't be a problem
except for the super security conscious among us and they probably
should be setting things up to do the processing separately.

(herbs at wideopenwest.com)