[OS X TeX] problem with pst-pdf

Alain Matthes alain.matthes at mac.com
Mon Nov 14 17:14:52 CET 2005

Le 14 nov. 05 à 15:07, Peter Dyballa a écrit :

> Am 14.11.2005 um 13:58 schrieb Alain Matthes:
>

>> Are you sure ? I think that the pdflatex-Version is: pdfeTeX 3.141592
>
> It's just pdfeTeX. LaTeX would reveal itself as:
>
> 	This is pdfeTeX, Version 3.141592-1.30.4-2.2 (Web2C 7.5.5)
> (format=pdflatex 2005.10.30)  11 NOV 2005 11:30
>
> Only in the log file! And similarly the other derived formats would
> present themselves.

Ok  but i don't use a (plain )TeX format . I don't understand very
well  the format but for me pdfeTeX was a link to PdfLaTeX.

> Since you can work in Terminal a bit, try this to rebuild the
> locate database (in this case sudo *is* necessary, because the
> programme is reserved for the superuser and the programme writes
> into a protected area of the disk and file system):
>
> 	sudo /usr/libexec/locate.updatedb
>
> Wait the few minutes while your disk is scanned and then do
>
> 	locate pst-pdf-example
>
> Next write, now again with sudo because you need to remove all
> files from this 'altermundus: sudo' invocation that you do not own:
>
> 	sudo rm <SPACE>
>
> and then copy and paste all lines from locate which describe output
> from a ps4pdf run on a file pst-pdf-example.tex. Type every time
> after a paste action a space. Don't include the TeX source file!
> Press <RETURN> to get rid of it.
>
> And now you can return to your PSTricks problem!

Thanks but i know that and it's not necessary. sudo is not necessary
but I had a problem of permissions with the ps4pdf. No it's correct.
But before putting ps4pdf in /usr/local/bin  ( i read this in the
readme of pst-pdf)  I did not know the existence of ps4pdf in the GW
distribution.

With your help, now i can compile the example.

I work with Texshop 2 and  in the prefs > miscellaneous > personnal
script  i put ps4pdf  ( it's possible to put /usr/local/ps4pdf this
works too) and in the menu "composer" i made the choice :  personnal
script. All is fine !!

IIdem with TextMate I modified the script .

For the example it's fine but with more complicated files ,  the pdf
is not correct.

I prefer actually pdftricks ( with the newpdftricks file), but a try
was necessary.

> OK! I have just checked TeXShop again whether it actually works to
> process your file. And this piece of software is kidding me! In the
> menu I see my LaTeX default which I thoughtlessly press, of course.
> And TeXShop then surprises me in its console window with:
>
> 	/Users/pete/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ps4pdf.engine: running latex
> pst-pdf-example.tex
> 	/Users/pete/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ps4pdf.engine: running dvips -
> Ppdf -o pst-pdf-example-pics.ps pst-pdf-example.dvi
> 	/Users/pete/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ps4pdf.engine: running ps2pdf -
> dAutoRotatePages=/None pst-pdf-example-pics.ps Matthes-pics.pdf
> 	/Users/pete/Library/TeXShop/Engines/ps4pdf.engine: running
> pdflatex pst-pdf-example.tex
>
> So it finds the 'engine' and uses it accordingly! You can create
> this engine too, in Terminal:
>
> 	mkdir -p ~/Library/TeXShop/Engines
> 	ln -s /usr/local/teTeX/bin/powerpc-apple-darwin-current/ps4pdf ~/
> Library/TeXShop/Engines/ps4pdf.engine

Thanks , this is very useful for me because i want to try XeLaTeX
and  now i 've an idea about the role of an engine.

Greetings Alain Matthes

PS : %!TEX TS-program is specific for TeXShop ?

Sorry for my approximate english language